Re: Am I losing too fast?

  • Subject: Re: Am I losing too fast?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:44:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.support.diet
steeda wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a white 6'1" 30 year old male who decided last week to lose the 70
> pounds he gained after quitting smoking 7 years ago. I have a sedintary
> job ( IT ) and never exercise. I also would drink fri-sun, about 6-7
> drinks Friday and Saturday, and maybe 3 Sunday. I generally don't drink
> during the workweek. My diet sucked, lots of fatty foods, fast food, the
> usual.

The drinks definitely did not help either. Judging by the numbers, you have
got quite a high caloric consumption right there. This may play quite a
role on the fast weight loss which you describe below.

> 7 days ago I set a baseline in the morning, naked on the scale, and
> weighed 272 lbs. The past 7 days, every day, I have eaten the following:
>
> Breakfast: Nouriche " super smoothie" 260 calorie non "diet" version, and
> a banana.
>
> Lunch: Wheat bread two slice sandwhich with ham/turkey, sprouts, lettuce,
> low fat mayonaise, and pickles, apple

This sounds surprisingly little to me. I don't think that a little more
would harm, especially considering the size of your breakfast.

> Snacks: Baby carrots, apple

Good vitamin sources! Carrots and apples are my main picks too.

> Dinner: varies, sometimes cereal + a fruit medley I cut up from fresh
> produce. Sometimes chicken breast + broccoli "creation"

I think you should try to combine both. You should at least get that chicken
breast for protein, especially if you work out. The more ingredients are
involved in your dinner, the better.

> I have also eliminated alcohol consumption from my intake until I get to a
> healthy weight.

*Thumbs up*

> At the gym I have been doing 30 minute cardio stints on an elliptical,
> holding 160bpm pulses. The machines "says" my 30 min routine burned 450
> calories. It's the life fitness one that you enter your vital stats into
> before you start.

The measures are not very precise, but it's the exercise that counts, not
the numbers. Consider the duration and the strain, not the maths.

> Well, already I am 261.5 lbs. This scares me. Is this normal for the 1st
> week? I am not trying to lose weight FAST, I'm trying to do it in a
> healthy
> manner  ( slowly ) so as to avoid muscle attrition, gallstones, lose skin,
> etc. Should I do less cardio, eat more, both? I don't want to injure
> myself by losing weight!!

I have known someone losing weight extremely quickly too. There was nothing
problematic with that. Your body is aspiring to reach its new point of
equilibrium. The closer it gets to that point, the less rapid weight loss
becomes. It is too early to get worried.

> It's supposed to be a good thing!! Am I doing
> OK, ie, is
> this just the "honeymoon" period which will taper off to a normal 1 - 2
> lbs a week? I do think I probably cut my calorie intake into a 1/3 though.
> I ate REAL bad.

No, you didn't, but it can improve. I think you should indeed pace your
weight loss, but never by involving drinking or fatty foods, neither by
starving yourself. You should feel rather full, but only due to consumption
of healthy food like applies, carrots etc.

Hope it gives some reassurance,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com