Re: wifi security

Laurent Bugnion wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Bartley K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR wrote:
>
>> Roy, you're full of it.
>
> Is that really needed?

Thanks for the defense. These words echoed in my head all morning. When I
said WiFi was secure, I fully believed it. I wasn't aware of
freely-available hacks even though I read every single Slashdot headline.
Your typical hacker or 'script kiddie' would probably not hang around the
OP's office or cluster anyway, so it's fairly safe. I think the worry in
many people's mind is that a nearby co-worker would pick up the wrong
packets and interpret them properly, in particular if the same PDA gets
distributed among the staff.

>> It's been well documented, on /. and elsewhere, that the feeble
>> encryption available (WEP 128-bit, which ins't even 128-bit), can be
>> easily and quickly cracked using freeware software tools. In once recent
>> demo, it only took 3 minutes for an FBI team to do so at a hackers'
>> conference.
>>
>> Palm does not have WPA encrption, which *would* protect the user.
>
> Actually, the LifeDrive supports WPA encryption as well as WEP.
>
> Laurent

Roy