Re: Use of alias?

  • Subject: Re: Use of alias?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:15:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
ergobob wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have an rss feed with FeedBurner.com and the URL is:
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/NewsErgonomicsUserInterfaceDesignCo...
>
> (Don't ask about the strange file name - it's what they gave me.)
>
> I wanted to get the feed on my site with my URL for SEO reasons. They have
> an alias service which makes the URL:

Does anybody link to that feeds? Have you got evidence?

 http://feeds.usernomics.com/NewsErgonomicsUserInterfaceDesignCo...

> Does something like this give the linking credit to me or does it stay
> with FeedBurner?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I think you copied and pasted the wrong link in the latter part. Both are
identical.

To answer your question (even though information is missing), if people link
to a FeedBurner redirection/alias, then it probably depends on the
algorithms. A shallow crawl will credit Feedburner, but a deeper one will
follow and reach your site, thereby increasing your traffic and possibly
giving you credit. Can you not create feeds from your site directly and
publish the URL? I think FeedBurner are mooching a lot of PageRank off
other Web sites...

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com