Re: Does changing index file extension hit search engine results?

  • Subject: Re: Does changing index file extension hit search engine results?
  • From: Alan Little <alan@n-o-s-p-a-m-phorm.com>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:13:28 -0500
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster, alt.internet.search-engines
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Roy
Schestowitz of alt.www.webmaster make plain:

> The request for your index will be something along the lines of 'GET
> /' meaning that there will be no notion of which file gets delivered.
> The server will deliver whatever it is programmed to deliver. I think
> that Apache gives precedence to PHP, then attempts index.html and then
> index.htm.

That depends on configuration. The DirectoryIndex directive tells Apache
what index files to look for, in what order. It doesn't even have to be
index.*; it could be anything.

--
Alan Little
Phorm PHP Form Processor