Re: Screensaver in KDE stopped working

  • Subject: Re: Screensaver in KDE stopped working
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 07:36:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.gentoo
Peter Kelly wrote:

> Holas,
>
> When I woke up this morning, I noticed that the monitor had not been
> powered
> off through DPMS.  I brought up the Screen Saver module in 'Appearance and
> Themes' to see why it wasn't aware of power management.  It was.  Clicking
> the Test button for Bumps, however did nothing.
>
> As it turns out, very few of the available screensavers will start up.
> "Science" is one of the few that will start.  "Banner" is another.
> After I run under Science, running under another, non-working screensaver
> will not blank the screen.  Nothing else, but more than happened before I
> got anything to start up.
>
> I haven't done anything besides updating through 'emerge world'.  I can't
> tell you how long this has been going on, since this box is on a KVM
> switch, and just runs.  The Windows box is usually the active computer,
> since it has Quicken.
>
> The box has not been rebooted for a couple months.  Obviously, the
> hardware
> hasn't changed.  When I log in under GNOME, the Bumps (and what appears to
> be every) screensaver works just fine.
>
> Any ideas where to look?  I'm more than happy to copy any output that will
> help.  Until then, I'll run the Science screensaver.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

I have had some problems with KDE screensavers in the past. One thing that
inconvenienced me slightly for nearly 2 years was delay in receiving input
from the mouse and keyboard, which meant that signals were devoured. I now
use

xlock -mode blank -delay 10&

instead. The set of screensavers is of course different (more simplistic),
but it entails several benefits. I know I did not solve your problem, but
the alternative might be somewhat of a workaround.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com