Re: Forum member ranks

  • Subject: Re: Forum member ranks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 16:58:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
"Richard" <richard> wrote:

> I'm trying to come up with some non-offensive ranks to use in a forum. I
> have made the graphics for 11 ranks, and have come up with 8 ranks so far.
> Are they in the right order (I'm not a native English speaker)?
>
> Newbie
> Junior
> Regular
> Experienced
> Enthusiast
> Senior
> Expert
> Veteran

You might have a hard time classifying messages/members. Probably repeating
what others said, I would say that:

-"Enthusiast" is unrelated to level of skills.
-"Veteran" refers to age/career stage rather than level of expertise.
-"Expert" sounds superior to all other ranks.
-You might want to introduce "Master" although it might sound laughable.
-"Regular" should maybe be replaced by "Average" (in terms of proficiency)
-You could introduce another level, say "Inexperienced" (to avoid more
offensive words). Some people haven't the slightest clue about computers
and they need to be guided through GUI's and be told what to type. Site
editors are one such example...

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com