Re: Norton Ghost on Laptop

  • Subject: Re: Norton Ghost on Laptop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 17:31:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.laptops
Zack wrote:

> i dont know if this is the right place to ask about this but here goes,
> i'm getting a laptop soon & will be using xp home, what i want to do is
> when it's installed i want to make a backup of it, without the sp1 or sp2
> on it, so it will be pretty small.
>
> having no a:/ drive on the newer laptops im stumped as to what to use.
>
> on my desk pc i use norton ghost, wich runs of 2 floppies, the new
> ghost version 9 installs to the hd, i dont waht that.
>
> any ideas about software for the job.
>
> zack.

Why not transfer the contents of the floppy between the two PC's? Pen drive
(USB), a crossover Ethernet cable or the Internet spring to mind.

Apart from that, my own experience has shown that it is much cheaper (no
CD's) to back-up hard-drives by mirroring one another mutually. I transfer
8 GB of important files from one computer to another twice a week. I do it
via fast Ethernet. You get more frequent and painless backups this way.
Everything is happening in the background too, so you needn't worry about
GUI's, manual handling of CD's and shelving of CD's. The only issue, as you
are using Windows XP, is that restoration of software can be a pain so. I
suppose you want to back up and then restore the entire partition so feel
free to ignore this paragraph.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com