Re: Spam Links Dilemma

  • Subject: Re: Spam Links Dilemma
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:53:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
small mouse wrote:

>> >I agree with maintenance being a pain, but diluting pagerank isn't a
> problem
>> >at the moment.  I'm finding that the more outbound links I put on each
> page
>> >(to good quality sites) the better my rankings improve.
>>
>> Rankings in the engines, meaning you're going up in them, or you're
>> getting greener in the toolbar? We'll be arguing about this forever
>> unless you explain further (in which case, I won't have to argue,
>> because - hey! I'll have won! Probably.)
>>
>> BB
>
> Umm, I mean going up in Google.  PR has dropped from a PR5 down to PR4
> since last year,
>
> And the best thing is that our site is ranking above a competitor who has
> been paying for about 12,000 backlinks for the last two years and has a
> PR7.
>
> I think the way Google relied on inbound links for rankings in the 90's
> changed the face of the web, and encouraged spammy links pages/doorway
> pages
> etc.  Imagine what it would be like if your ranking was based on how many
> good sites you link out to, instead of how many poor sites are linking in
> you.  Websites would be informative and useful and free of spam.
>
> Or perhaps I'm just dreaming and it wouldn't work?!

True it is, but pointing the finger at Google (I do not suggest you did
that, but generally speaking) is unfair. PageRank was based on the idea of
citations in research (
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.08/battelle.html ) and since Larry
Page's dad was a professor, I bet this somehow influenced the method.

It is a sad and disturbing truth that sites can buy popularity. Commercial
are a similar case. People opt for a certain brand of beer because more
advertisements for that beer were viewed and that gives a falsified
perception of value.

We can only hope that Google will find a successful algorithm for discerning
spammy link from worthy ones. Because of the size of the Internet, doing
this perfectly is impossible. It's like a government gathering all the
millions of citizens that reside in a country and then deciding, based on
just the appearance, who is likely to commit a crime and must be jailed
immediately. It is tactful to leave the criminals out (=spammy links) than
to jail innocent people (=penalise benevolent sites).

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com