Re: Yahoo Growth?

  • Subject: Re: Yahoo Growth?
  • From: Borek <borek@parts.bpp.to.com.remove.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:22:53 +0200
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:06:29 +0200, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

Yahoo picked up some music from my site, which is impressive (for Yahoo),
but they barely have any images as far as I can tell. Yahoo also request
around 60% the amount of traffic that Google and MSNBot do judging by
statistics that I see, so they appear to be somewhat slow.

All this years logs checked:

grep BOTNAME statslog.20050* | cut -f 7 -d" " | sort -u | grep -c chembuddy

BOTNAME        different pages requested
inktomisearch       59
msnbot             104
googlebot          205

For those less fluent in command line - I am counting how much
different urls were requested by the bot BOTNAME from my site (every
url contains string chembuddy, as this is virtual server mapped to
the chembuddy directory and every url is translated to /chembuddy/url
before logging and serving content).

In reality there were about 100 correct urls that could be requested -
some of them used only temporary, as the site was evolving.

Yahoo was not able to check whole site, both msn and google requested
non existing pages, which is mostly due to errors in many sripts trying
to properly display quoted urls - thus there are logged requests for:

/?left=BATE&right=price // this one is correct
/?left=BATE&amp;right=price
/?left=BATE&amp;amp;right=price
/?left=BATE

and many other variations on the subject.

At the same time:

BOTNAME     total requests
inktomisearch      1728
msnbot             2707