Re: plagiarism for content

William Tasso wrote:

> Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster
>  From the safety of the schestowitz.com / Manchester University cafeteria
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>>> URLs? (both original and copycats)
>>
>> Yes, scrapers have become a really big and widespread nuisance. Some say
>> that the majority of blogs out there (usually obscure ones) are fake
>> blogs
>> that scrape content for ad revenue.
>
> Yes, although looking at the links in Paula's 2nd post I don't think these
> are scraped and they don't appear to be doing it for the ad revenue.

Many do it for ego. I have seen and heard of several 'bloggers' who stole
content from other sites and signed it with their names.

>> I had some content stolen from mine too, but I doubt I'd ever spend my
>> time
>> fighting that terrible, ever-increasing phenomenon.
>
> exactly - it's a nuisance, but you could make a career of chasing down
> this stuff.  hard enough protecting a brand, never mind every tiny piece
> of marketing copy.
>
> btw:  what makes one blog any more (or less) obscure than another?

Factors like PageRank and inclusion in directories. You never see them until
you find your name (in my case this is fortunately a unique name) in a SERP
and then follow.

A scraping blog/site will not be linked to from genuine blogs, will quite
often have PR0 and will not bother signing up for anything like Technorati
or Blogpulse. Spammers would sometimes get SE hits from odd mixtures of
search terms like 'banana washington tungsten' because they collect a
variety of random content and splice it together.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com