Flush History?

I have been 'greeted' by the following in AWStats after generating stats for
the past 24 hours:

"Flush history file on disk (unique url reach flush limit of 5000)"

While the wording is clear, I am not sure exactly what it means or what the
implication might be. I searched the Web and reached just one document (in
Japanese) which refers to this warning/error message. That document did not
contain any helpful information though, even when translated to English.

Having said that, something awkward happened yestersay and I have no
explanation for it. The number of page requests tripled (compared with the
average) while the number of visits remained the same. It doesn't appear to
be crawlers because they get counted separately. Has anybody got an
explanation? Has there been an attempt to attack or is that just paranoia?

Many thanks,