Maximize in Xinerama

I am using KDE 3.1, where under Window Behavior >> Advanced >> Xinerama I
have ticked all the boxes including "enable window maximise support". Even
though I did this, whenever I maximise a window, it only occupies one
screen (the one it is nearer). It there a way to force maximise to make use
of the entire workspace? In OpenOffice and Firefox, full-screen mode
occupies both, but I can't get maximise to have the same effect.

Many thanks for any input,