Re: Set prefered window size?

  • Subject: Re: Set prefered window size?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:30:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
On Thursday 18 August 2005 21:25, Rui Maciel wrote:

> I run a few programs that start with a certain window geometry. Is it
> possible in KDE to set the geometry that a program starts with? From my
> days in windows I remember that it could be accomplished by a certain key
> combination.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Rui Maciel

In Windows, I think it was "hold down SHIFT" when closing a window. Some
people reported this not to work or onlywork sporadically. It wasn't
reliable and I haven't a clue about compatibility across different versions
of Windows.

On Friday 19 August 2005 09:15, Rui Maciel wrote:

> Thomas Overgaard wrote:
>
>> Rightclick the titelbar and choose "Advanced"|"Special Window Setting"
>> and go to the "Geometry" pane.

I have the same problem myself. I do not see these menus. I have one entry
named "Store Window Settings" but it never worked for me. I also have
"Configure Window Behavior" which takes me to the KDE Control Module. I am
not entirely sure what the plus/minus sign at the top-left corner of the
window decoration does. I was never entirely sure either (maybe this
screenshot < http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/window_settings.jpg > will
illustrate what I am talking about). I'd appreciate help with this as I
/always/ have to resize KNode when I start using it.

> Isn't there another way to do this? I am trying to do this because until
> recently, my firefox launched maximized. After a few screen real estate
> tweaks I did, it started launching with the resized state. It seems it
> doesn't matter how I re-resize it because it always starts that way.

I find the behaviour quite mysterious myself and would like to find a
permanent solution. Enabling "Store Window Settings" seemed to have worked
sometimes, but I am not too sure if it was just a fluke.

> If, after the first resize, firefox stored the window settings and reuses
> them, I believe that there is a non-hacking way to do this thing. Is it
> true?

Firefox no longer gives me any trouble, but if I wanted to change back its
size to the old settings, I'd probably have a hard time.

These are just my mere 2 cents...