Re: Changing URL in Address Bar

news:de6jh2$1g95$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Saturday 20 August 2005 06:58, Fly Cooter wrote:
>
>> In article <de43er$2k7f$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> says...

>>>Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants
>>>including
>>>".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
>>>location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to
>>>a site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).
>>>
>>>Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted
>>>use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
>>>/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance,
>>>re-direct www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
>>>www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.
>>
>> NeatURL is only one of many free domain cloaking services on the web.  Do
>> a Yahoo of Excite search on "free domain forwarding" (without the quotes)
>> and there are plenty more to be found.
>
> As yet, the OP hasn't said anything with regards to the purpose of this.
> Surely it can deceive a few users, but it would not be a flexible case of
> cloaking as you are restricted to choose one of just a certain set of
> domains. It is probably better used for disguising long and ugly URL's
> rather than frauds. Anybody with 10 bucks can afford to get a top-level
> domain. Some ISP's give free Web space and I know professional hosts who
> charge as little $20 per annum.

Basically I have my own URL and I have a blog hosted by modblogs. The
probably is, I would like to associate my blogname with my perosnal website.
All things being equal actually - I would host my blog on my domain but
modblogs doesn't allow me to do this. And I am not too keen on using movable
types.

So, I am not trying to deceive but rather tidy up the URL of a blog and
associate it with my name.

i.e.

http://mydomainname/myblog

as opposed to