Re: Changing URL in Address Bar

  • Subject: Re: Changing URL in Address Bar
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 07:44:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
On Saturday 20 August 2005 06:58, Fly Cooter wrote:

> In article <de43er$2k7f$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> says...
>>
>>On Friday 19 August 2005 05:33, Fly Cooter wrote:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <43054a08$0$21076$5a62ac22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>> k.oteng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...

>>> It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show.  You
>>> can't
>>> use just any domain you want.  Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/
>>> This is a free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a
>>> long list of domains.
>>
>>Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
>>".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
>>location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to
>>a site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).
>>
>>Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted to
>>use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
>>/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance,
>>re-direct www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
>>www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.
>
> NeatURL is only one of many free domain cloaking services on the web.  Do
> a Yahoo of Excite search on "free domain forwarding" (without the quotes)
> and there are plenty more to be found.

As yet, the OP hasn't said anything with regards to the purpose of this.
Surely it can deceive a few users, but it would not be a flexible case of
cloaking as you are restricted to choose one of just a certain set of
domains. It is probably better used for disguising long and ugly URL's
rather than frauds. Anybody with 10 bucks can afford to get a top-level
domain. Some ISP's give free Web space and I know professional hosts who
charge as little $20 per annum.

Roy S. Schestowitz        $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
http://Schestowitz.com