Re: Storage DIY

  • Subject: Re: Storage DIY
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 03:40:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
On Sunday 21 August 2005 01:02, Marcus Houlden wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:05:19 +0100, Martin <news@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:
>
>> Are there companies out there who provide hosted storage i.e. who will
>> let me upload a large amount of data and hold it for me to be able to
>> access from multiple locations. I'm thinking about several hundred
>> gigabytes. I know people like IBM etc. do it, but I'm not at that level
>> just yet!
>
> Several hundred gigabytes of what?
>
> Whatever it is, I doubt you need to access it all all the time. DIY would
> probably be the easiest option. Just get a PC with a big HD, connect it to
> an ADSL connection, and run an FTP server on it. The max upload speed will
> probably be 256 Kibps, but anything else is likely to cost serious money.
>
> mh.

How will you get a place in a /remote/ location? What about reboots? The
bill for the connection would be a pain too, especially assuming that the
PC is far from a server farm.

Experience sometimes shows that it's pleasant when somebody else worries
about your uptime, patching, upgrades, etc. It is all managed just once for
several hundreds of clients, which makes it cost/time-efficient.

I agree that DIY is an excellent solution and it all depends on the
importance and nature of the data to be backed up. Collocation is also
worth considering.

Roy S. Schestowitz        $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
http://Schestowitz.com