Re: Hosted storage vendors?

  • Subject: Re: Hosted storage vendors?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 03:34:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
On Saturday 20 August 2005 19:48, Grant wrote:

> "Martin" <news@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> | Are there companies out there who provide hosted storage i.e. who will
> | let me upload a large amount of data and hold it for me to be able to
> | access from multiple locations. I'm thinking about several hundred
> | gigabytes. I know people like IBM etc. do it, but I'm not at that level
> | just yet!
> |
> | Any UK companies?
> |
> | Martin
>
> Why not just use a webhost that includes an FTP account - there are
> thousands!
>
> --
> Grant

Probably would be much more expensive because Web server are intended for a
different purposes. Different architecture, different levels of support and
different back-up mechanisms.

What about the issue of security (shared hosting exposed to DoS attacks)? As
for dedicated hosting, would a dual-core motherboard and 2 GB of RAM really
necessary?

PowWeb < http://powweb.com/ > offer 6 GB of storage on a shared server. 6 GB
is the most I have come across for a low-cost account.

Roy S. Schestowitz        Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
http://Schestowitz.com