Re: Adobe Reader and Yahoo Toolbar

  • Subject: Re: Adobe Reader and Yahoo Toolbar
  • From: "Mikkel Møldrup-Lakjer" <mikkel@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:24:22 +0200
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> skrev i en meddelelse
news:de8u91$2448$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Here is what it's all about:
>
> http://www.rankforsales.com/news-bd/845-seo-oct-25-04.html
>
> Here is a possible workaround:
>
> http://malektips.com/adobe_reader_7_0009.html

Thank you :-)

> This is why I don't use Windows. The vendors play around with the user.

Well, I believe you are right.

> Use an alternative like GhostView < http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ >.

Thank you, I have now installed it to try it out. However, the free version
keeps asking me to register each time I open the application...

I am very impressed with the CutePDF Writer
<http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp>
and after having used that I am amazed that Adobe still tries to pass off
creating PDF-files off as a major thing (in their promotion of their online
creation service). Their rhetorics are as close to dishonest as you can get
without lying, when they try to persuade me to install the Yahoo Toolbar to
do something that I can do offline.

Now that I was forced to install the Yahoo Toolbar I tried it out. But it
doesn't even work. It keeps searching for its buttons for the toolbar
without finding them, and searches only return error messages. Fortunately
it was easy to uninstall (the visual parts).

> I rarely ever use Acrobat Reader, which is a tremendous resource hog. It
> takes about 5-10 seconds on a modern machine to open a PDF for the first
> time in a session. It then grabs memory and subsequently it takes just
> several seconds to open PDF's in the current session.

This is true if you choose to install all extras during installation.
However, I have found that it is not so bad if you leave out all those extra
options. I cannot remember for sure if this affects the ability to search
within documents, but I don't think so.

Mikkel