Re: Please don't feed the trolls

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:00:36 +0100, Roy Schestowitz staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 16:40, [Thomas Bartkus] wrote:
>> Far too many people take the narrow world they know and turn it into
>> a religion.

Yes, because for a lot of people, stuff they don't know about is scary.
That's like Psychology 101-level knowledge....

>> And then there are computer languages :-)
> Zeal in P/L

My brain appended an "I" to that and immediately said "WTF?".

> is probably to do with MS-only languages like VB and .NET (Direct X,
> MS 'HTML' and so forth), which still makes it a religious war over
> OSes.

I think it's more easily explained as "there are a bunch of people who
only know 1 language well, so they think that language is the best at
everything".  With a little theory, it's relatively easy to show that
all Turing-complete languages can do the same things, but most people
who get involved in language flamewars haven't had any theory.  A little
broader experience also tends to help.  You can solve some problems with
10 lines of Perl or 300 lines of C; which is easier to code and
maintain?  Other problems can't be solved very easily in Perl and can be
in C.  Which language is better?  Neither--they're both tools in a
toolbox and should be treated as such.  You don't see people arguing
about whether wrenches are better than screwdrivers, after all.

> It is *languages* that sometimes stand in the way of interoperability,
> even when there is an able *and* willing programmer who wants to port
> an application.

?  Did you mean "bindings for library functions" here?  ISTR some evil
kludgy series of hacks that allowed you to call C and C++ functions from
Java.  Creating some way to do that from $LANGUAGE would be a PITA, but
it'd be doable given enough time and effort.  Of course, there are
various projects out there creating bindings for {Perl,Python,Ruby,
etcetera} for various Free libraries and toolkits.  It's just nifty when
you can write a GTK+ application in Perl or Python, f'rexample.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /    "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/      penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL