Re: Cheap Dells and Refunds

__/ [Jake] on Monday 29 August 2005 11:44 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> I thought that when a payment is confirmed, even if a mistake is made or
>> the wrong label was put on the product, the customer can insist on full
>> delivery for the stated (as obscene as it may be) cost.
>
> You can't enforce a contract if you knew, when you made it, that the
> terms the other party was apparently agreeing to were not what he meant
> to agree to. Of course it might sometimes be hard to prove that you knew
> this, rather than just thinking it was an amazing bargain.  But I doubt
> that many people would honestly think Dell was intending to sell PCs for
> £3.64.
>
> Jake

You are right. Call it wishful thinking if you will. A friend of mine once
bought two mobile phones of a very expensive type (GBP ~300 but in Norway).
He knew the phones were available for a lower price somewhere else and the
store where he eventually made the purchase had a "we pay twice the
difference is found for cheaper" (or equivalent). He ended up paying no
more than GBP 50 (I can't remember the exact numbers) for each unit.

Now, if only the Dell boxes were mistakenly sold for GBP 364, you'd then
have a good case of defence as there is sanity behind the move.

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
http://Schestowitz.com