Re: How hot should a hard disk get?

__/ [Martin Underwood] on Monday 29 August 2005 21:51 \__

> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Roy, Robert;
>>
>> I'm currently running this machine with the cover off, and so happened to
>> notice the temperature for the first time; glad to know that high-ish
>> temperatures are normal.  I'll try to get a temperature reading, and see
>> if I'm anywhere near 55 degrees.
>
> Ah! That's why it's getting so hot! The case is an essential part of the
> cooling system of a computer; parts will overheat if there isn't a means
> of channelling the airflow past all the components.
>
> It's fine to run a PC for a few minutes with the cover off, but any longer
> any things will start to get hot. If the case fan or CPU fan (especially
> the latter!) fails, don't use the PC much (or at all, in the case of the
> CPU fan) until you've fixed the problem.

Good observation, Martin. It's quite adverse to logic that stripping of the
cover would lead to heating. The hot air will get locked in rather than be
dynamic. My friend, whom I mentioned earlier, always has the cover
stripped. He tempers with the hardware too much.

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
http://Schestowitz.com