Re: amaroK sounds not as good as xmms

__/ [Jonas Stein] on Saturday 26 November 2005 22:50 \__

> Hi,
>
> i listen my music on high quality nearfield speakers.
>
> i would like to move from xmms to amaroK because of the nice management
> functions but amaroK sounds very bad on my speakers.

That shouldn't be the case. Did you alter the equalizers in XMMS? Any plug-in
running in XMMS which enhances sound quality?

Look under Preferences in XMMS 1.x:

Audio IO Plugins

Effect/General Plug-ins

Anything special among the list?

> It seems there is a short delay effect of a few milliseconds with 'arts' in
> amaroK.

When changing songs? I noticed that too, but it's mainly because AmaroK does
plenty of work when changing songs (OSD, append recommendation(s), playlist
redrawn...). I suspect you are referring to something else though.

> I tried alsa output via xine in amaroK to - same results.
>
> Any ideas, how i could improve the sound in amaroK?
> Is there any similar program like amaroK?

I suspect not... not for Linux as far as I can gather.

> Thanks for reading so far.

Some people reported that AmaroK could not (yet) play MP3's or that sound did
not play altogether. Among many users, no-one complained about the quality
and I am not sure it is a measurable or detectable thing either.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
  5:10am  up 2 days  2:37,  5 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.60, 0.54