Re: Ubuntu live CD?

  • Subject: Re: Ubuntu live CD?
  • From: Harold Stevens <wookie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 17:18:55 -0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
In <dn1qfv$1lf8$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Roy Schestowitz:

[Snip...]

> Is Ubuntu possibly having a problem with X. Perhaps it cannot bring up the
> display? This would not explain the situation convincingly as no subsequent
> activity should be expected.

Shot in the dark...

Sounds like X is arguing with Mr. Framebuffer about doing displays. I've
had displays that would go blank on all consoles shortly after BIOS/POST
and the first few lines of loading a Linux kernel. However, the boot has
no other problems (usually); the system continues booting normally.

You finally have a booted system running normally except there's not any
visual display at the consoles. You're flying "blind" on them--the mouse
and keyboard work fine, but you see no visual feedback. This was often a
bug with older video adapters (I don't know about Dell 2200 at all).

If it's a framebuffer glitch like this, one way to workaround it is with
a kernel boot parameter:

                               vga=normal

I've never used Ubuntu, so I'm not sure how kernel boot paramters can be
invoked (if at all?). But it may be worth a try if somebody knows how to
set kernel boot parameters (if possible) with Ubuntu.

HTH, YMMV...