Re: ok, what next?

  • Subject: Re: ok, what next?
  • From: Perfect Reign <theperfectreign@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:17:24 -0800
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
  • Sender: "...shopping so she'll be happy!" <>
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:35:50 +0000, someone posing as Roy Schestowitz took
a five minute break from flipping burgers to boot up the etch-a-sketch and
scribbled:

> __/ [David Wright] on Thursday 08 December 2005 14:54 \__
>
>> moif wrote:
>>
>>> So I made the leap and downloaded 10. I've got it running as a guest on
>>> VMWare and so far I'm very happy.
>>>
>>> However, what's next? I'm fairly versed in getting things like Internet,
>>> email and suchlike working but I wonder what else I can do in a Novell
>>> enviroment. I'm presuming there's a Novell Client for Linux somewhere
>>> which I'll have a hunt around for but what else?

Not sure what you meant by a "Novell Client" for Linux. Your network is
Netware? If so, my buddies at Stanford gave me this:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/qna/1068.html

and this

http://novelclient.sourceforge.net/

(I'm not sure if it is a Novell client or a client for reading novels.)

>>> Any suggestions appreciated (ones that won't get me fired preferably!)
>
> sudo root; rm -rf /usr/games/

LOL!

Don't forget rm -rf /home/david/movies/pr0n

>>> TIA
>>
>> Erm, the world is your oyster. What do you want to do?
>>
>> If you look at the supplied packages, you have a wide selection of mail
>> programs, web browsers etc. Office programs, games... There is a lot to
>> choose from..
>>
>> Also, try km_novfs a Novell Client kernel module, it is on the shop DVD,
>> don't know about the download...
>>
>> Dave
>
> True.  Like Houghi said as well, it's a matter of what the machine is  in-
> tended  to do. My suggestions: get a feeds reader, newsgroups reader, mail
> client  (use  Thunderbird to combine them) as well as a good browser  like
> Firefox, a browser like Opera to peneatrare IE-only sites without plug-ins
> to  spoof agents, OpenOffice, LyX/Kile for rapid creation of PDF documents
> and something like AmaroK or at least XMMS for your entertainment.

Good advice, there.

In addition, start checking into the following:

Desktop Linux dot com - http://www.desktoplinux.com/ - this site has some
good informaiton for beginners.

Tux Magazine - http://www.tuxmagazine.com/ - this was supposed to be a
print magazine, but turned into a PDF download. Great stuff for people
like me who haven't a clue what they're doing.

Linux Planet has some cool articles...
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/

Then there's the big red N - Novell's Cool Solutions:
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/slp/

Then there are the forums, http://www.linuxquestions.org and
http://www.linuxforums.org

--