Re: Adding Too Many Pages at Once?

__/ [jrobich@xxxxxxxxx] on Saturday 10 December 2005 15:54 \__

> About a year ago, I added a datafeed to my site.  It added about 17,000
> pages all at once.  Google immediately dropped me in the ratings --
> I've since read that when Google sees a large addition of web pages, it
> assumes these are not content relevent and will reduce your search
> position.
>
> I removed the datafeed pages (BTW, I had a "nofollow" robots.txt, but
> Google followed them anyway) and eventually regained my ranking.
>
> I now have about 2,000 "real" and legitimate pages that I want to add.
> I have a free sheet music site and would like to add these 2000 pieces
> of sheet music (they're all .pdf's).  I added them a little at a time
> -- a  hundred every two days -- and sure enough, after about a week,
> Google slammed my position again.
>
> Is there any way of adding a large amount of real content at once
> without incurring Googlewrath?

I  suffered  from the same issue when Google crawled pages it was not  in-
tended  to  crawl. This indeed led to a drop in the rankings and thus  the
number of referrals. Try removing the unwanted indexed pages:

http://services.google.com:8882/urlconsole/controller

For  some  reason, no action has yet been taken, even 3 weeks after I  had
requested  that  the  pages get dropped from cache. Don't get  your  hopes
high, but be aware that the ranks appear to improve (rebound) gradually.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
  7:25pm  up   2:33,  2 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.41, 0.53