Re: What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements?

  • Subject: Re: What is the KDE 3.5 CPU requirements?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:49:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [Alex] on Thursday 15 December 2005 12:56 \__

> "Gordon" <gbplinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Amund scribed thusly:
>>
>> > Does anyone know the hardware requirements for running KDE 3.5?
>> >

>> > I am running kde 3.5 on a Pentium 4 2GHz 32bits cpu, and the system is
>> > so slow.
>> >
>> > It seems like kded and X are fighting for the cpu-resources. These 2
>> > processes together uses 70-90 % of the cpu.
>> > kded uses 125 MB of memory.
>> > X uses 290 MB of memory.
>>
>> That's interesting - I'm running KDE 3.5 on Ubuntu 5.10 on a 1.5GHZ
> celeron
>> processor with 762 MB RAM. I've currently got 38 processes running,
>> including KMail, Knode and Konqeror.
>>
>> CPU usage is currently running at 5%, user RAM at 215 MB out of 726 MB,
> and
>> no swap used at all.
>>
>> I think you need to look at your system monitor to see what's taking up
> all
>> your resources.
>
> I'm running KDE on P4 2.5GHz and it can be extremely slow at times. The
> longer the system runs, the more memory it seems to use up.
> I have 512 megs of ram; when I fist start up KDE approx 100 - 150 megs are
> in use, but after a few days it's in the 300 - 400 meg range even when i'm
> not using many programs..
> I've looked at the guide to improving KDE performance and applied some of
> the steps but they didn't help much.
>
> Alex.

 * KDE 3.1 on a 1.8 GHz processor, 512 RAM - very fast and responsive
 * KDE 3.4 on  a  2.2 GHz processor, 256 RAM - ditto, although shadows,
fade-in/out, translucency effects enabled are 'CPU murder'
 * GNOME on a 1.5 GHz processor - probably quicker than both of the above,
but everything runs over SSH so it is hard to judge

Your  situation reminds me of an issue that I sometimes have. xlock has  a
conflict  with X if I leave the machine locked and connect from outside. I
have  absolutely no idea why. The two processes are fighting over the CPU,
bringing  usage up to 100% when they are supposed to be idle. This can  go
on forever unless I kill xlock. When all functions properly, X should take
2-10% of the CPU capacity. Something must be set wrong on your machine.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:40pm  up 4 days 23:48,  6 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.57, 0.70