Re: very bad ranking in yahoo and MSN

__/ [Mommens Francois-Louis] on Monday 12 December 2005 21:55 \__

> Hi,
>
> I created a French commercial product search engine which has been
> online for the past 8 months. The site gets traffic from google and
> voila (a French search engine) but nearly nothing from MSN (1/80th the
> traffic from google) and yahoo (1/200th the traffic from google !).
> Obviously, there is something wrong with yahoo and MSN.
> Traffic from msn amounted to 1/10th of total traffic in June. Then,
> traffic from google increased slowly while the one from MSN dropped.
> The traffic from Yahoo never rose. I tried several small changes on
> keywords density but I think it didn't affect google, yahoo or msn. I
> built back links by registering steadily on directories which granted me
> a PR of 5 on google.
> Right now I'm stuck so any help would be greatly appreciated.

> FL

This  is nothing out of the ordinary. I once raised similar concerns  (the
search  engines 'pie' is similar to yours) only to reveal that many others
are observing the same behaviour.

You  say  that you run a search engine site, which is therefore (at  least
partially)  technical.  As of recently, it's possible to argue,  with  the
backing of studies, that Yahoo and MSN are less likely to be used by tech-
nical people:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/12/06/HNgoogleuserstudy_1.html

Still,  I am not sure to what extent this applies to your site. Less tech-
nical sites that I look after get decent traffic from MSN and Yahoo. Else-
where, they are nowhere to be found although they crawl quite heavily, al-
most  as heavily as Google. It's as though they have the same 'knowledge',
but the knowledge it is rarely sought by the users.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
  5:55am  up 2 days 13:03,  10 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.36, 0.49