Re: Dual transparency and CSS3 borders

__/ [alvarezp@xxxxxxxxx] on Saturday 10 December 2005 10:33 \__

> I've tried to search the lists for this, and even asked at www-style
> but I seem not to find anything and they didn't answer.
>
> This is about the borders in CSS3.

How will you be able to test that at all? Web browsers don't support CSS3,
(which is just a specification) let alone CSS2, which is partially supported
and often buggy (Internet Explorer in particular despite it ubiquity). Is it
just curiosity that leads you to asking that question?

> Let's say I'm trying to draw a star-shaped border, a la "Greatest
> offer!",
> where the border is visually no more than an broken line. Something
> like:
>
>   $$$outside content$$$
>   $$/\$$/\$$/\$$/\$$/\$
>   #/##\/##\/##\/##\/##\
>   ###inside content####
>
> (it's supposed to be a broken line /\/\/\ with $'s above it
> representing a mostly white pattern background, and #'s below it
> representing a yellow pattern background)
>
> Let's say "outside content" has a background-image: url('pattern1.png')
>
> and "inside content" has a background-image: url('pattern2.png'). How
> will
> authors be able to specify that the lower part of the border
> --indicated
> by "#"-- will use the background from pattern2.png and the upper part
> of
> the border --indicated by "$"-- will use the background from
> pattern1.png?

Whether it's possible or not, the specifications will tell. How this will be
rendered is a spearate matter, which is not affected by the syntax. It could
be as simple as specifying multiple image URL's, which is nothing out of the
ordinary.

> Painting those patterns in the border-image does not help, as nothing
> will
> assure that there will be a smooth transition from the background in
> the
> content to the "background" painted in the border-image.
>
> I don't know if I explained correctly my question.
>
> Octavio.

It's confusing and very hypothetical.