Re: Google confirms $1bn stake in AOL

  • Subject: Re: Google confirms $1bn stake in AOL
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 06:42:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Luigi Donatello Asero] on Wednesday 21 December 2005 04:59 \__

> "Paul" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> skrev i meddelandet
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4547672.stm
>>
>> Google confirms $1bn stake in AOL
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> AOL founder Steve Case last week backed calls for AOL to be split from
>> Time Warner.
>>
>> Yahoo had also been in talks with Time Warner but dropped out in
>> November, reportedly because the media giant wanted to retain a
>> majority stake in AOL.
>
> Did Yahoo want to buy a share of AOL?

I've just read somewhere that Yahoo forcibly refused it or held back early
on. One of the big shareholders called the Google-AOL pact a "big mistake".
Google already have a pact with Sun Microsystem as well. They sure get
around...

Speaking of Yahoo, what about TypePad, (as of yesterday) WordPress or even
acquisitions like del.icio.us, Flickr, and Geocities. A quick Web search
also helped discover the following:

    * RocketMail
    * eGroups
    * OddPost
    * Overture
    * Launch
    * ViaWeb

I'm sure they acquired another company recently, but I can't recall its name.

Google are no exception:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/6/12/143721/743

It's almost as though every start-up has its success measured by its ability
to get absorbed. ICQ (Mirabilis) were devoured by AOL many years ago. All
instant messengers are bound to giants, let alone information vendors.