Re: Google confirms $1bn stake in AOL

__/ [Big Bill] on Wednesday 21 December 2005 16:27 \__

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 04:01:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [Paul] on Wednesday 21 December 2005 03:15 \__
>>

>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4547672.stm
>>>
>>> Google confirms $1bn stake in AOL
>>>
>>> Online search engine Google has confirmed it will invest $1bn to take
>>> a 5% stake in Time Warner's AOL unit as part of a major strategic
>>> alliance.
>>> The deal, which follows intense negotiations between the two US
>>> internet giants, values the troubled AOL unit at $20bn.
>>>
>>> [snip/]
>>
>>Have you seen /this/ yet?
>>
>>http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/20/technology/20google.html
>>
>>  "Users of Google?s search engine will soon see something they are not
>>  used to on the notoriously spare site: advertising with logos and
>>  graphics. And the advertisers will not be limited to America Online,
>>  whose talks with Google prompted the change in policy, according to two
>>  executives close to the companies? negotiations."
>>
>>Roy
>
> I've not seen examples but I saw the notice yesterday I believe.
>
> BB

It  hasn't been brought into practice yet, so maybe there's a change  they
will retract. These AdSense-type ads, which used to have graphical banners
tested,  no  longer seem to bring up images (not frequently anyway).  This
suggests  that they had second thoughts, either about the effectiveness or
the merit of that tactic.

There is only company that abstains /G/raphics and yes... its name starts
with a "G". Scraping of images and HotLinking is another matter. *smile*