Re: Reviving old Pentium 133 to run Linux

  • Subject: Re: Reviving old Pentium 133 to run Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:52:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.linux
__/ [philo] on Friday 23 December 2005 12:23 \__

> "NoName" <karen_craig@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>I have an old Pentium 133mhz which I  used to run Linux on and would like
>>to revive it. For it to be useful I would need to get a network card so I
>>can access the net through my router. Does anyone know if you can still buy
>>network cards for this type of machine? If so, where? Also, are they hard
>>to set up, I think I can still find my way around Unix.
>

> the machine should run linux fine...
> i recommend slackware or vector linux..
> and if you want a gui...do not use gnome or kde of course.
>
> as far as net cards go..a p-1 should have pci slots...
> but if not ISA net cards can be purchased used for next to nothing.

If you require no responsiveness, e.g. setting up a Web server or a machine
to run jobs alongside another desktop machine with a different O/S, then
GNOME/KDE might be OK. I had Mandrake on a machine with similar specs and I
was using it for the GIMP on occasions. I copied the outputs to a floppy and
shipped it to a Mac or Windows.

Old machines are not useless. They just need to be used wisely. Music player,
(recipe/shopping list display at the kitchen) or backup unit are other use
examples among many.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
  1:45pm  up 12 days 20:56,  7 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.30, 0.49