Re: Six things holding me up from ditching M$

__/ [E. Bjarling] on Saturday 24 December 2005 08:52 \__

> Hi, can someone help me?  I'm a Linux newbie trying to
> figure out how to use SUSE 10 with Gnome interface.  I love
> SUSE's gorgeous interface and its speed (compared to
> Knoppix), but there are six tasks that I have no clue how to
> do in SUSE, and I'm slowly losing my mind trying to find the
> answers.  I'm not looking for detailed instructions, but can
> someone at least point me in the right direction?  I'd love
> to ditch M$ as soon as possible.

Don't "ditch M$ as soon as possible". Simply make a transition into a
platform that is more reliable and powerful. Don't let disdain lead your way
because it will leave you blinded or bitter at times.

> - My monitor is a Sony flat-screen and my graphics card is
> an S3 chip integrated into my ECS motherboard.  No matter
> how many times I try to change the resolution to 800 x 600,
> or 1024 x 768, SUSE insists on setting it to 1280 x 1024.
> This makes me dizzy!  Now, if SUSE has the capability to
> display at this maddeningly-high resolution, why can't it
> display at lower resolutions?  I've tried changing the
> monitor to LCD from VESA (there are no drivers for my
> monitor, SDM-HS75), changing the color depth from 16-bit to
> other settings, and changing the monitor size, refresh rate,
> and sync frequencies.  No matter what I do, SUSE puts
> everything back to 1280 x 1024, 16-bit, 77 Hz.  If SUSE were
> a person, I'd smack him upside the head.  How do I knock
> some sense into this stubborn operating system?

In YaST, you can specify a list of resolutions to be attempted if I recall
correctly. Clear 1280 x 1024 off that list. Somebody else would be able to
give you better advice because I lack the experience.

> - How do I set up a peer-to-peer network to share files
> between my XP box and SUSE box?

Samba, among other alternatives. Depending on what you try to achieve, you
could also copy files using pscp, which you can get from the PuTTY pages.
For Windows workgroups, however, Samba is the answer.

> Do I need to define a
> "workgroup name" like you do in Windows?  Are all of the
> necessary protocols for file sharing built into SUSE?

Depending on what you had installed, the answer is probably yes. Go to
Control Center and find the front end to network shares and the like. It's
been greatly simplified and you just need to mess about with the buttons and
menus.

> Do I
> need to install some kind of "Client for Microsoft Networks"
> on the SUSE box?  All of my attempts to access my XP box
> from the SUSE box, and vice versa, show either a blank
> window, or "Network Not Available".

You need to enable sharing and define a few parameters first. See above.

> - When I'm in Windows, I like to install the LAN icon, that
> looks like two superimposed computers in the System Tray, so
> that I can see when there's activity on the network card.
> (One time, before I knew anything about security, I
> discovered the not-so-stealth activity of a back-door Trojan
> while casually glancing at this icon and seeing the lights
> blinking for no reason.)  To install this in Windows, you
> click on Start | Settings | Network Connections | LAN |
> Properties | Show icon when connected.  How do you install
> something like this in SUSE?  Do I need to download a
> third-party utility?  There doesn't seem to be anything like
> this in Configure Network Settings, nor in System | Monitor
> | Network Interfaces.

You have a whole variety of system and network monitors under the Kicker ->
System -> Info (among others). You can install additional ones. For monitors
in the dock, open the context menu in your main dock (/panel), then follow:

Panel Mane -> Add -> Applet -> list therein

> - Is there any way to close down the GUI without rebooting
> the computer?  In Windows, you could close "Explorer" from
> Ctrl-Alt-Del.  How do you do something like this in SUSE?
> Can you shut down the X11 (X Windows) component somehow?

If you are using KDE  (which is what I shall assume here), press CTRL+ESC,
which is the default shortcut for the 'task manager'. There are other, more
flexible ways, of managing tasks nonetheless.

> - I recall that in Knoppix, there was a key combination that
> you could hit that would send the GUI into the background
> and allow you to see the character mode commands running
> underneath.  Is there a similar key combination in SUSE?

I am not aware of it, but I suppose it can be opened/installed.

> - Is there some kind of utility I can use to clear out my
> temp files, Internet cache, history, cookies, saved forms,
> saved passwords, and so on?

If you are using Firefox, you can do so under 'Preferences'. In Konqueror and
others, the paths and GUI's vary. Generally, temporary files also go under
/tmp -- that's top-level directory slash tmp.

> I would love to make SUSE my primary (or only) OS, but
> without knowing how to do these tasks, SUSE will remain
> nothing but an intellectual curiosity for me.
>
> Thank you.
> To send me an email, take my "socks" off.
> - Erik.

Merely nothing that you mentioned is beyond the capability of SuSE. You just
need to learn and adapt, 'is all.

Roy S. Schestowitz
  9:00am  up 13 days 16:11,  14 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.58, 0.69