Re: Relative/Absolute URLS

  • Subject: Re: Relative/Absolute URLS
  • From: "theo" <theo@nospam.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 01:43:36 -0600
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
> > HELP?  Any relative paths are supposedly linked from the root folder.
How
> > do I determine the root folder?  Does anyone know of any good tutorials
on
> > this particular nightmare?
> >
> > cc

> As for paths, you should always be fine with "../tools/search.htm", for
> example. This should always be relative to the current page. Having said
> that, some crawlers are too (shall I say?) stupid to handle this properly.
> Also, this induces a big cost when moving pages around and changing
> levelling. It's a clear case of trade-offs. The best you can do is stick
> one host and not migrate too much.
>
> Roy

Roy,
  Thanks for your input.  I use templates, and so I can't program each page,
need a relative url to the entire site, to the "parent directory".  The
../tools/search.htm works well most of the time. Dreamweaver usually does it
this way, but lately I've run into sites which don't.  Either linux or win
is the problem, or possibly an issue with quote, "parent directory".  I
haven't figured that out yet, and am wondering how to tackle this issue.
Thanks,
cc