Re: what to eat after a workout -- and why?

  • Subject: Re: what to eat after a workout -- and why?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:40:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.support.diet
Her Subj. wrote:

> hi everyone,
>
> i have been reading bits and pieces about taking in a good amount of
> protein post-workout. why is this necessary?

I have heard of no such suggestion, but I know you should drink sufficiently
throughout and after the workout. Also, some would suggest a protein powder
post-workout. I do not think 'necessary' is the right word. The body
develops at all times (possible the most while one sleeps), but perhaps
eating is advised at this stage simply to re-gain energy.

> i typically tend to
> refrain from eating after a good session of cardio and weights, but
> it's only because i don't want there to be a possibility of binge
> eating (which typically happens when appetite develops during a
> workout).
> does the intake of protein restore precious lean muscle mass that may
> have been lost during the workout? does it help to rebuild the small
> tears in the muscle? if i don't take in protein after a workout, does
> my lean muscle mass "burn," causing a slow down of metabolism?

I personally consider the time after a workout session to be convenient for
a meal. I also tend to have better appetite at that stage. Whether the body
requires it or not, I am not sure, but I would imagine so.

Common sense says "yes".

> thanks in advance for any answered questions to this inquiry. i'm still
> on my plateau, btw! ugh.
>
> HS

Hope it helps,

Roy Schestowitz