Re: Submitting blogs to SE's the same as website?

  • Subject: Re: Submitting blogs to SE's the same as website?
  • From: John Bokma <postmaster@castleamber.com>
  • Date: 25 Feb 2005 17:03:36 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> John Bokma wrote:
>
>> Clint wrote:
>>
>>> If one is to submit
>>
>> submit?
>>
>>> a new blog to major search engines like Google,
>>> Yahoo, MSN and Open Directory, is the process exactly the same as
>>> with regular websites?
>>
>> Just get a few links to your blog, links from pages that are already
>> in the major SEs.
>
> It doesn't hurt if you submit as well.

Wasting time often hurts. I would concentrate on requesting links or
getting links.

>> In the past I noticed that having "blog" in the URI slowed Google
>> down. No idea if it was a correct observation (I guess yes) and if it
>> still holds.
>
> Did you check this systematically??

No.

> You said this several times before
> (even wrote some essay about it), but I still don't know if it's true.

Same here. My observation was that normally I could kick a new page in
24 hrs in Google. After 4 days (IIRC) my blog page was not there, the
5th day only the blog index was spidered, and after 6 days, that was it,
and I changed the url. The next day or so, the pages got fetched.

Temporary hickup of Google? I doubt it.

> I have to admit that penalties of this sort should improve search
> results. It should weed out pages like "The ham sandwich I had
> yesterday", "My sweet precious puppy", and "It's Snowing!"...

Yup, and since I try to make my blog more interesting I don't want to be
put on the "I broke my nail" pile.

--
John                       Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
                 Experienced (web) developer: http://castleamber.com/