Re: Finding local maxima (repost?)

  • Subject: Re: Finding local maxima (repost?)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:01:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: sci.image.processing
Jonathon wrote:

> Apologies if this is a duplicate.  I posted 24 hours ago (via Google)
> and it hasn't appeared yet.  Second time lucky?
>
> I have to find the local maxima in an image surface.  Is there a more
> elegant/efficient method than simply comparing each pixel to its eight
> neighbours?

Use a general-purpose optimiser (simplex, downhill search, Powell, etc.).
Assuming your data has some patterns (rather than just random numbers),
you'll find it rather quickly.

Global maximum/ma is a different issue because you are then not guaranteed
to find the solution, unless you scan the entire image surface.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com