Re: laptop hard drive questions

  • Subject: Re: laptop hard drive questions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:53:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.laptops
Chris wrote:

> I want to buy some extras for my laptop and have a few questions before I
> buy it.
> Are all laptop drives compatible?

I found out that drives are different in dimensions and that laptops are
built differently to accommodate for different sizes.

> I have a Compaq Armada E500.
> What is the best brand internal laptop hard drive?

I heard that Maxtor are reliable, but a quick search on eBay makes it appear
like they don't manufacture 2.5 inch drives. I had bad experiences with
Toshiba and IBM (Hitachi) hard drives. They both broke. My laptop now holds
its 3rd hard drive.

> Whats faster? Internal laptop hard drive or external 3.5 inch drive?
> Any help would be great.

My guess is that internal IDE hard-drive should always be faster. This
depends on how you connect the external one, e.g. USB, Firewire...

> Thanks,
> Chris

Hope it helps,

Roy Schestowitz