Re: Power-on Password

  • Subject: Re: Power-on Password
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 06:01:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
Jeff Gaines wrote:

> On 05/07/2005 Jack Ouzzi wrote:
>
>> So, what actually is the point then of having password protection, if
>> it wont protect??
>

> It's only protection against a 'casual' thief or somebody trying to
> look at your data.
>
> There's generally a way to re-set passwords or lots of people would be
> stuck with unusable PC's.

Yes, exactly. When I was young I thought it was some sophisticated way of
protecting my data, but it only protects at a certain shallow level. Mind
you, it takes much longer (and requires expertise) to unscrew, open the box
and remove the password protection than it does to reset, hit F1/Delete and
muck about with the BIOS.

Palm also have that shallow password protection of data. It will encrypt
data on the Palm (so a thief cannot fetch your passwords among other
sensitive information), but corresponding data on the desktop is in plain
text.