Re: Graffiti question/annoyance

  • Subject: Re: Graffiti question/annoyance
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:41:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Walter P. Zaehl wrote:

> Mike Koenecke wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:15:03 -0400, pfw <pfw@pobox.com> wrote:

>>>why have Graffiti if you have to pull up an on-screen keyboard every
>>>time you want to make the letter "T"?
>>>
>>>(Missing Graffiti 1 because it is more accurate than G2).
>>

>> Why? There are any number of sites on the Web to tell you how to
>> install Graffiti 1 over Graffiti 2. I did it on my Clie TH-55 myself.
>
> Ok, so how do I do it on my T5? I'd love to see that done!
> T5 with G2 is slow and inaccurate. My writing speed has come down
> so much that I'm actually faster using the keyboard.
> G2 may be something for newcomers, but experienced G1 users
> will always be faster with G1 (2 strokes for a T? Line and dot
> for an I???)
>
> I went to TealScript, which is some improvement, but I
> still miss my Graffiti 1 from Palm III/Vx/m515 times ...
>
> ///Walter

Graffiti 2 is good for newcomers. Full stop. With Graffiti 1, It was not a
matter of just learning the new strokes, but also mastering them and
getting a quick writing flow. As a matter of fact, I am no longer able to
write English on /paper/ unless I stick to all capitals, which I now do.
It's a residue of Graffiti 1.

The bottom line is that it's rather disappointing that Palm did not allow
the user an easy _choice_. Instead, add-ons are needed to return to good
old habits.

Simplicity is king and 2-stroke inputs are an overkill when computers
automate the process of interpretation and rendering. You don't see us
pressing CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+CAPS+S to save the work, whereas filing work in
physical term would probably involve punching holes in papers, adding
papers to a folder, putting folder in the shelf and so forth.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com