Re: XHTML - Code Optimisation

  • Subject: Re: XHTML - Code Optimisation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:30:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Borek wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:25:30 +0200, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>> If anything, pages written in XHTML will sometimes be larger, which slows
>> down crawling (by 1%?). *grin*
>
> In fact most of the pages are NEVER optimized for size. Google uses
> one-letter names in their styles to cut on the traffic, but then the text
> is formatted using <font color=#008000> tags :) That's abuse of resources.
>
> Same happens throughout the web. Probably many services will be able to
> cut the traffic in half (and cut on the traffic costs) just by clever HTML
> coding.

It was you who mentioned the poor code in Webmasterworld. I took a look and
it turned out that you (or your friend) were right.

As for optimisation, with better machines and more bandwidth available all
the time (Moore's law), programmers become more resource-greedy. Spilling
memory, converting operating systems like OS X and Windows into resource
pigs and writing ugly HTML code -- all becomes a norm.

I have a pile of 20 or so Pentium 3's with 256 MB RAM in my office.
Apparently they are no longer good enough for users who run a word
processors and send jobs to the printer. Like people who commit suicide,
killing bodies that had nothing wrong with them to begin with, excellent
machines are tossed aside because nasty operating systems (which equate to
psychological issues) were installed within.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com