Re: OT: Rescue files

  • Subject: Re: OT: Rescue files
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:32:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
Phil wrote:

> William Tasso wrote:
>
>> Greetings One and All
>>
>> Anyone know of a good tool to recover files that have been deleted from
>> an
>> XP system.  PC has not been touched since the incident which removed the
>> files?
>>
>> Failing that, is there a fast, friendly, not outrageously expensive
>> service available to UK users?
>
> I used OnTrack EasyRecovery, which wasn't dirt cheap but which
> successfully recovered the majority of files from a folder on a Jaz cart
> that WinXP had helpfully decided to delete (this was during boot-up and
> was the final straw that drove me to Linux). You can download the software
> (on another machine - but you knew that). www.ontrack.com
>
> Best of luck.

The safest thing to do is mirror your hard-drive every once in a while
(exclude media and application files). Nothing beats it and I do this twice
a week. I keep a stack of three mirrors for excessive safety and also
because space allows. Only a week and a half ago it saved me from losing my
mail archives from 2003 and 2004. Thunderbird was pushed to the extreme and
lost data. You can also confirm that your filestore is in a sane state by
comparing the total volume of the mirrors.

A colleague of mine who uses Windows chose "search & Recover" IIRC. He
wasn't successful though. I remember the days of MS-DOS and undelete. I
could never figure out the first letter of the files...

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com