Re: M&S Spam

  • Subject: Re: M&S Spam
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 05:20:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
ofn01 wrote:

> We purchased something from M&S via their website, then they started
> spamming us, which to be fair it does say they can do in their privacy
> clause on their website. However, it says that you can click the links
> at the bottom of the email to unsubscribe.
>
> However, surprise surprise, the links don't work! (as in there are no
> hrefs - the text just says 'click here' but its not a link).
>
> So we emailed them from the privacy section of their website, and they
> said, quote:
>
> "I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems un-subscribing from our
> mailing list. We are aware that there is a problem with the link, and
> our I.T team are working to fix it. May we ask that you try again in a
> couple of days."
>
> Like - wtf? What do you do when spammers won't take you off their spam
> list? M&S are blatantly spamming us, admit that their unspam link
> doesn't work, and just try to fob us off with 'try again in a couple of
> days' - which of course won't work, we'll have to wait for another spam
> and hope that that has the link in it.
>
> Nice one M&S.

If you have good control over your E-mail account, be sure to re-direct all
E-mails back to them, e.g.

if <from equals '*@marksandspencer.com' redirect to
'eat_your_own_garbage@marksandspencer.com'>

The nice thing is that somebody possibly check all of this unroutable mail.
It helps them spot bad URL's. I don't know how true this is anymore because
many spammers send junk to random addresses.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com