Re: guestbook spam - bots or people?

  • Subject: Re: guestbook spam - bots or people?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:02:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
bof wrote:

> My site's guestbook spam has gone from trickle to annoying recently. I'd
> assumed it was bots doing the sending as the spam is always sent twice.
> Anyone know how the bots find the form fields? I've tried entity coding
> out key words such as 'guest' and 'comment' but they still find the
> right fields; is it bots or people?
>
> MTIA

They probably hop directly onto the function which files the form when you
press submit. Therefore, changing the layout of the form will not help. The
URL name helps then spammers find targets as well as Web searches for
'guestbook'. I don't know what Guestbook package you use, but have a look
at my notes:

http://www.schestowitz.com/Guestbook/Spam/

I used to get spammed every day. Ever since I made the transition 2 months
ago, I haven't received any spam at all (neither did I receive genuine
entries because the page is embedded deep inside the site).