Re: guestbook spam - bots or people?

  • Subject: Re: guestbook spam - bots or people?
  • From: bof <nothingread@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:56:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
In message <db8c52$2nv6$3@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes
bof wrote:

My site's guestbook spam has gone from trickle to annoying recently. I'd
assumed it was bots doing the sending as the spam is always sent twice.
Anyone know how the bots find the form fields? I've tried entity coding
out key words such as 'guest' and 'comment' but they still find the
right fields; is it bots or people?

MTIA

They probably hop directly onto the function which files the form when you press submit. Therefore, changing the layout of the form will not help.

They seem to be finding the form and reading the field names correctly as the link target is always in the comments field, and just words or a name in other fields so they seem to be extracting the content of the submit form and completing it intelligently.

The
URL name helps then spammers find targets as well as Web searches for
'guestbook'. I don't know what Guestbook package you use,

It's just a homebrew mailback form.

but have a look
at my notes:

http://www.schestowitz.com/Guestbook/Spam/

Thanks, I don't have a problem with the spam appearing in the guestbook as I manually allow entries onto the book.

Having removed the plaintext words "guest" and "comment" from the form I'm trying to find what it is the bots (if that's what they are) are latching onto, If it's humans I guess I just need to put a "don't waste your time" message there.

-- bof at bof dot me dot uk