Re: Repost: what is the best free indexing-searching engine ?

  • Subject: Re: Repost: what is the best free indexing-searching engine ?
  • From: MiniME <mm@uoft.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:22:04 -0400
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
My repost is the result of your suggestion:

<<In the future, please use a subject line that is meaningful. "check this
out", "help please" or "how do I do this" make it impossible for readers to
discern posts where they can help from those which are utter gibberish or
jargon to them.>>

I would also like to see some specific opinions about a few of the best tools
listed on the page posted in my previous e-mail.
You are talking about some specific tools like wget, YACC etc etc :-)

I need a complete package a solution not the list of the components that would
help me to build the solution myself.
My experience in IT tells me that it is better to rely on expert's advice that
to try to "do it yourself".
I might have misunderstood your initial advice but to me it seems like a
generic advice rather that an opinion like "use Nutch" and "don't use Lucene"
9just to mention 2 names on that list).

I don't need an exhaustive analysis of that list. I was expecting some advice
based on the popularity of a few tools from that list.
Of course if you are presented a list of Linux flavors and you are asked about
your opinion like "which is the best" you can not bet that you can name the
best on that list. It is said that in real life not the best trained mouse
always gets the cheese. (see M$ vs Unix and other stories like this).

As a short conclusions I wanted to see what is RedHat or Suse or Mandrake in
terms of free search engines.

Thank you again and please forgive my ignorance.