Re: Typo SERP's - Any Potential?

  • Subject: Re: Typo SERP's - Any Potential?
  • From: info_at_1-script_dot_com@foo.com (www.1-script.com)
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:20:08 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
  • Sender: info_at_1-script_dot_com@foo.com (www.1-script.com)
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> I thought this would amuse a few and have an educational bend. What
> happens
> if you find out that in the course of 3 days or so you had 91 referrals
> from Google for the search term "oogle earth"? It appears to
> me as if you
> stand a better change of attracting visitors for these mistaken, less
> competitive SERP's.

> I ought to point out that I did not miss out the "G". The
> capital G is
> graphics with alt="g" (
> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/06/28/google-earth/ ).

> Going back to the point, it seems worthwhile to go for competitive
> terms,
> but use some variations like common typos. Google Earth is only a few
> weeks
> old so I imagine the correct term gets nearly 1 million searches a day.

> Roy

I agree, typos are a quite important SEO venue. Especially for sites that
deal with specialized technical or scientific terms. Even with regular
words one should not forget that most of Internet users these days are not
native English speakers, therefore there has got to be at least ten common
typos for a word with five letters.

There is one problem with actually optimizing for a typo keyword: anything
that you do can be (quite correctly) considered as cloaking by the search
engines. You'd have to build a special page with the typo, and then give
them a link to a good page. This is unless you can live with typos in the
actual body of your page, which is a very bad style indeed.

Sincerely,
Dmitri
http://www.1-script.com/install/
Check out my CGI scripts installation offer

Article posted with Web Developer's USENET Archive
http://www.1-script.com/forums
alt.internet.search-engines - 10867 messages and counting!