Re: Help with "interpreting" my website stats

  • Subject: Re: Help with "interpreting" my website stats
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:42:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Big Bill wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:37:47 +0100, "Graeme"
> <graeme@abetterworld.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>My daily report gives me both "reqs" (which I assume is short for
>>requests) and "pages".
>>
>>Can someone please confirm what this all means i.e. the difference
>>between the two?
>>
>>Presumably "pages" just means "the total number of pages what've
>>actually been displayed". Alternatively, the former being "the
>>total number of pages which have been requested".
>>
>>So, (as the number of "requests" is always considerably greater
>>than the number of "pages") does this mean that therefore many of
>>my pages must be unavailable for whatever reason?
>>
>>Finally, how do I find out the total number of visitors i.e. how
>>many individuals have hit my site? I can see something about
>>"distinct hosts served". Might this be what I need? I'd hope not:
>>as the actual figure is rather lower than I was expecting.
>
> What stats package (if any) are you using? Individual requests could
> be requests, not for the whole page, but for each individual item on
> the page. So for every small graphic you have, there's a specific
> request from the visitor's user agent (the browser) to serve it.

...and if you wanted to brag about # of requests, you could have simply
included hundreds of 1x1 pixel transparent images at the bottom of each
page...

Page requests are less meaningful than other units... possibly the least
meaningful, but it depends on the nature of your site, e.g. feeds
aggregator (+) , forum (-), gallery (++) and so forth...

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com