Re: Site Sandboxed?

  • Subject: Re: Site Sandboxed?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:31:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
David wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:03:31 +0100, "Jim" <jimjam2020online@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Our site http://www.shrinkmylink.com/bedjson , has just been updated, and
>>lot of the site is PR5 , the rest PR4.  The site is roughly 6 months olds
>>old.  We only started to optimise about 6 weeks ago, previous to that, the
>>site was hovering on PR3 / PR4 with no significant serps.
>>
>>Now, the site is as you can see PR5, with NO serps on any real keywords.+
>>
>>Could this be the sandbox effect I have read about?
>>
>>Jimbobbery.
>>

> You are unlikely to see significant traffic from Google for at least 6
> months from a new site going live. Around the 6 to 9 months mark if
> the site has enough links and the content is optimised (covers the
> topics you want SERPs for) it should start to gain traffic from semi
> competitive SERPs (all you get before that is really easy SERPs).
>
> Your site doesn't have much in the way of content (less than 100 pages
> indexed) so I don't see you getting masses of traffic anytime soon.
> Long term if you can build up your link popularity you might get some
> reasonable traffic SERPs, but my bet would be that's at least 18
> months away.
>
> BTW sub domains are like brand new sites, so you've got the same 6+
> month wait for those to start to do anything in Google. For this
> reason if I can put something on an old domain (sub folder) I will,
> they out rank new sites with the same content easily!

Regarding the first paragraph, it is possible to get decent traffic even
within a /few/ months provided that there is basic content once the site is
constructed (and links of course). This is based on my experience with two
separate domains. The traffic from search engines reached a stable peak
after 6 months or so, but rose quite rapidly since the very beginning.
Registering your domain for many years also yields good treatment (ranking)
from search engines.

As for the last point, provided that you link to the subsite as if it were a
subdirectory, I believe it will be treated more or less equally. It is only
a strutural difference, but the domain is still the same domain with the
same, let us say, Alexa ranking associated with it.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com