Re: Google vs MSN and Yahoo Study

  • Subject: Re: Google vs MSN and Yahoo Study
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:42:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
www.1-script.com wrote:

> Harps wrote:
>
>> After observing the posts in this newsgroup for a few months now I have
>
>> realised that most SEO efforts are targeted towards google. Obviously,
>> they
>> have around 39% of the search market followed by Yahoo! who have around
>> 35%
>> and I think MSN has around 15%.
>
>> With everyone tailoring their sites for the google spiders, do many
>> SEO's
>> worry about getting good SERPs in Yahoo!, MSN etc? Or are the algo's
>> for
>> each search engine similar?
>
>> I would of thought that with Windows Vista coming out soon with a
>> search
>> field in the toolbar in IE, that ranking high in MSN would be a
>> priority.
>
>> Comments?
>

> My experience has been lately:
>
> Google - 94% of SE traffic
> Yahoo - 1.6%
> MSN - 0.6%
>
> My SERPs on MSN are (way) better than on Google, and still 0.6%
> I'm not optimizing for MSN any time soon ;-)
>
> BTW, I was always wondering - where does 30-some % of SE traffic from
> Google come from? My sites may be exception, but with such dramatic
> difference I can't believe Google is only 1/3 of the traffic worldwide.
> Sounds more like 3/4

You are very correct. These figures must be bogus or biassed by the
definitions in the study. If you count my Yahoo and MSN feeds** and make a
count not by clickthrough rate, but by _search requests_, then you'll see
about 300 hits in MSN and 500 in Yahoo that come from this workstation
every month. Almost none of these SERP's will ever entail a clickthrough.

Moreover, remember that while people search Google for terms 'consine
transformation' or 'internet growth', many people use MSN or Yahoo because
they depend on their portals, mail services, etc. They will more often
search for 'britney spears lyrics' or 'disneyworld', not for CGI scripts.

**Google does not provide the feeds service yet, but Ben Hammersley built a
hack: http://www.benhammersley.com/tools/google_to_rss.html

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com