Re: BBC SE

  • Subject: Re: BBC SE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:04:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Jez wrote:

> Does anyone here get any referrals from BBC search engine? I'm surprised
> more people don't use it. I don't recall ever getting a referral from it
> and most of my sites are #1 for their main SERP in it.

Interesting that you mention it... one of my domains, which attracts about
150 daily visits on average, gets many referrals from BBC search. It does
not appear as a search engine in AWStats (sorry but I lost interest in
Analizer and Webalizer which I used for years) but as a referrer instead.
On the other hand, another domain which serves around 1100 visits a day
gets no referrals at all from BBC search.

It seems like the BBC is quite selective. It doesn't appear to do any
crawling either, so it must be exploiting one or more search engines. With
the BBC going Open Source-friendly, it's unlikely to be sidling with MSN
any time soon, unlike for example, *cough* MSNBC.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com